Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Infragistics.Documents versus ActiveReports

PDF document had to be rendered from an application. We used to use ActiveReports for PDF reports, but have experienced difficulties when maintaining them. I gave a try to Infragistics.Documents library. It looked nice, but a lot of coding would be required. I think one could prepare some set of classes that would allow fast creation of documents, but it would take some time we did not have. I had to admit, that it is much faster to create the document in ActiveReports, using the visual designer.
Perhaps this is just another prove of the rule "the less code you write the better".

3 comments:

scott said...

Feel free to send me some specific problems you have with ActiveReports PDF export and I'll have one of our developers look into them. The AR team is actively adding features and fixing bugs in the PDF Export for the next ActiveReports version so now is a good time to bring them up.

Scott Willeke
Data Dynamics

_St said...

Hello Scott,

thank you for your offer. The limited support of HTML in RichTextBox troubled us most. We have already reported to DataDynamics.

I found resizing of controls quite a painful experience. I would expect that when two controls share a common border, one would be shifted or resized when resizing the second.

Some of difficulties I mention in my post come from the improper use of the tool. ActiveReports are good in reporting of tabular data, while we were rendering some rather complex document.

scott said...

Great, thanks for your feedback. Exactly which tags or styles would you like to see support for? We try to make our design-time resizing behavior like visual studio's winforms designer for consistency (and are improving that area in the next version of AR). If you want, email me off line with more questions or comments: scott at datadynamics dot com.